Monday, September 29, 2008

Great Weekend

Back at work on Monday after a relatively low key weekend.

Michael's parents wanted to spend the weekend with Hayden, so we met them Friday night at Fish City Grill in Greenway Plaza to play "pass the child". It was a nice dinner since we also got to see their good friends, Becky and JR Greene. It was also Happy Hour, so that was a plus! Hayden was very excited to get Grandma and Grandpa all to himself. Saturday, they took him to the Museum in Houston for the Dinosaur Mummy Exhibit. Very cool! He liked the dinosaur stuff. Grandma says he has a lot of energy!

Which is where the low key stuff comes in for us. Since the energy was across town in Pasadena, it was pretty quiet around our house, even with Brandon home. It's so interesting to see how different the dynamic is. When Julia plays with him, it's different than when Hayden does. I suppose it's a combination of both their age and their gender. Julia is very maternal toward him, and plays to cater to him, where Hayden plays with him for his own enjoyment. I think you can determine which one makes Brandon happier overall!

Julia and I cleaned out her bedroom. At first she wasn't thrilled, but when we were done and she saw how pretty her room is when it's picked up, she enjoyed spending time in there. She has begun to earn an allowance for her help around the house. She does a good job, too! She will clear the table, rinse dishes and put them in the dishwasher. When I tell her I need to start laundry, she will get the hamper out of Brandon's room and fill it with the clothes out of hers and Hayden's hamper, pick up any "stragglers" upstairs that needs to be washed and leave the hamper at the top of the stairs for me to take down. Once her clothes are washed and folded, she will take her own basket upstairs and put all of her clothes away. She understands that she must do these things without being asked in order to earn her allowance. My big girl....

She and I are looking at idea books and planning to update her room decor. Something that will still scream girl, but a little more grown up so she can grow into it. She is really excited about being involved in the process, and I must say, some of her ideas are very cute! I told Michael I wanted this to be mine and Julia's project. I think he's a little freaked out about that... he loves to be in control when it comes to that stuff!

He did some more work in the backyard this weekend. He laid stone out in a section and grouted it in. Now there is a lovely shaded area to put our park bench, very near the kids' swing set. He added more plants and landscaping. We were so lucky not to have lost our fence during Ike, because if it had blown over, it would have damaged or crushed the new shrubs he recently planted. The only real problem we are having with the yard right now are the ANTS. OMG they are EVERYWHERE!!! So bad, in fact, that I don't want the kids out there playing.

I was so happy this morning when I dropped Brandon off at school to see Mrs. Brenda at the front desk! She was the school director for years at KRK, and a year ago, she retired. I guess she missed the kids more than she thought she would, so she came back as the Curriculum Coordinator. She gave me a big hug, said how much she missed me, how gorgeous Brandon was, and told me I was skinny. I love her...

Our camping trip is coming up in November and

I
CAN'T
WAIT!!!!!

The weather has been so gorgeous here lately and it's really getting me in the mood. This morning, Julia had to wear a jacket because it was 60 degrees outside! I love fall because it seems to give me so much energy. There are so many things to look forward to this time of year - mainly the camping trip. I hope it's COLD this year! So many people think we're nuts, but there is absolutely no better place on earth to be in November than New Braunfels. We eat like kings. Last year, Channing made fajitas. YUM! I would love to get some great camp jambalaya this year if possible. Between the food, relaxation and great friends around, it's no wonder we look forward to it every year. Plus, it's a great opportunity to hang out with Channing and trade good natured barbs with him. (Hey Channing, did you know Lawrence Fishbourne is SMOOTH???? You'll never live that one down!) And I get to see my Aunt Theresa and Aunt Chris. Lovely. Can't wait....

Speaking of the weather, is there any other proof needed that God Blessed Texas?? Okay, so there's the hurricane thing, but that aside, with so many people still without power, the weather has been wonderful and cool! And I know it is helping people cope. I couldn't imagine still being without power! That's crazy!

Yesterday we went to Michael's parents house for dinner and to collect our son. Since we were in the area, I wanted to go check on my sister's house. Although it was bad, it was not as bad as I had imagined! She has a hole in her roof in her bedroom and the entire ceiling is gone. Her ceiling in the living room finally fell in because it got so wet. She will be getting new walls and the structure fixed, but it's okay for her to live there in the meantime - my main concern. Her back door was crowbar-opened, so now she doesn't have to go through the window to get in and out of her house! (LOTS of jokes about that! Images of Dukes of Hazzard come to mind!) Most importantly, her spirits are way up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lawerence Fisburne is the SMOOTHEST MOFO ON THE PLANET!!! I don't care what you say!! I need to find a cardboard cutout of him so that I can bring it along and we can all discuss the smoothness of Morpheus... :)

I too cannot wait until Wurstfest! I may be going solo and if so I may have to bum a ride if FEMA still hasn't sent me money to get my car fixed. Are you gonna still be gimping around on your bum foot come November?! That could definately increase the amount of barbs thrown you way.

As to the ant problem, check out Texas A&M's website. They have all kinds of infor on insect control and gardening.

Anonymous said...

Lynn, I love reading your blogs. Oh, and by the way I think you are skinny. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi again, wow I think you have written a lot since the last time I checked. Shameless plug alert: I am a decorator with Home Interiors, check out my website, there might be something you and Julia will like.

Tammy