Saturday, September 20, 2008

Weekend at last!

Ahhhhh.....

How great it feels to be in my jammies, cup of coffee in hand this morning. NORMAL!!! Even the ginormous pile of laundry isn't dampening my mood right now.

I've talked with many of my co-workers over the past week to get an idea of what others are experiencing since Ike came through town and wreaked havoc. One employee saw someone get a knife pulled on them at a gas station, and another saw a fist fight in a grocery store. A majority still do not have power. I heard some that said they had a rowdy hurricane party! He said they even had the garage door open to watch the wind tear everything up. I told him he was crazy - but I think he took it as a compliment. Many said they had trees fall on their houses, some had roof damage, ranging from a few shingles missing to some sections torn completely off. And probably most distressing was hearing one tell about how she had evacuated only to come home and find that not only had her house been torn apart by the storm, but it had also been looted. That just makes me sick! Again, we feel so lucky, and we're very grateful.

Okay, so this is a little embarrassing, but I jammed or sprained my toe the night that Ike came through. How? Well, I had to get up out of bed that Friday night, and as I stepped out, Heidi happened to be right there. But the momentum was downward and I tried to avoid squashing her and landed awkwardly on my fourth toe on my left foot. Typically this wouldn't be a big deal, but with running and gunning all week, I think I've made it worse. It's so swollen up and painful, even a week later! Mike is calling me "Gimpy". Several of my co-workers have noticed my slight limp, and when they ask me what happened, I've been giving a myriad of colorful stories that sound much cooler than what actually happened. It's been a running joke at work this week!

My mother and Troy were gracious to keep Julia and Hayden for us beginning Tuesday night since school was out. So since then, Mike and I have experienced what it would be like to have one child. We think Brandon has enjoyed it too. Most evenings, he would sit right between us on the couch and just hang out quietly. So since my mother brought Julia and Hayden back yesterday, quiet time is obviously over.

Today, I'm attacking my mountain of laundry, and Mike is cleaning up the yard. Mundane stuff never sounded so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Lynn!! That's ok. My moron friend has never been through a Hurricane before and wanted to see what it was all about so he and his family did not evac even though they live in Friendswood and were told to do so. Well Ike ripped off his roof and broke his windows scaring his 11 year old daughter out of her bed where she promptly tripped over some junk that had blown into her room and she broke her ankle. They had to ride out the storm with her screaming in pain, then got refused at local hospitals because she wasn't an emergency case. Idiot. I could strangle him for putting his family in danger like that. Oh! On a lighter note, we're getting a house in League City!! It's a small 3BR 2 Bath but its on an acre and its really nice! Have fun limping around Stumbalina!!