Friday, September 12, 2008

Waiting for Ike

After 25 years, I suppose it's time for Houston and the surrounding areas to finally have a major hurricane.

Yesterday was a very interesting day at work. We moved 77 cars inside our showroom, another 120 or so into the shop and Make Ready buildings, and then moved another 70 cars to a parking garage close to the dealership (I negotiated the contract!). I took a picture with my phone, but it's new technology, and I can't figure out how to send it to myself, otherwise, I'd post it here. I should have known it was going to be a unique week when Monday morning, a lady drove her car through our windows and ended up three feet into the smart Center showroom. Again, I have a picture but...well, you know the rest! Amazingly, the entire area was repaired the same day. Our building contractor ROCKS!! Anyway, Ken closed the dealership at 11 AM yesterday. While most employees left right then, several great employees mobilized, stayed after 11 and secured our building and inventory. We'll be closed until Monday. I'm expecting to work on Sunday to go help move everything out once the winds go away. Since we're not in a surge area, we don't expect any type of significant flooding.

Right now, Ike shows to be headed straight through the heart of Harris County, making landfall in Galveston. We're happy to be in western Fort Bend County, and thus far, not on the "dirty" side of Ike.

We're not particularly happy that Michael's parents have decided to stay in a storm surge area in a non-brick house and ride out the storm. We would feel much better if they would come and stay with us, or Michael's brother, James, in the Pearland area. My mother is in The Woodlands with my grandparents, and my dad lives in San Antonio, so they're going to be okay.

This morning, Michael boarded up the back of the house, which house the biggest windows. The windows face east, where we expect to have the strongest winds. Hayden did NOT like this, and as Michael covered each window, he closed the blinds over them so he didn't have to see it.



He and Julia both are very nervous about the storm. Historically, Hayden is terrified of thunder and lightning, so it will be a wonder if he comes out from under the bed over the next couple of weeks. This was considered when we were deciding whether or not to go to San Antonio. But honestly, after it took us over 9 hours to get to SA with Rita, we decided it would be better just to stay. Besides, the only reason we left for Rita was because I was pregnant and VERY hormonal. I have more of a sense of humor about it this time.
After he finished, all we do now is wait. Well, that and finish all of the laundry and dishes. But we'll find something to pass the time. Like playing Wii Fit. Michael is addicted. Here he is doing some yoga right now with a couple of helpers...

We actually had Hayden's first baseball practice last night. Not all of the team showed up, but we expected that. We had 5 out of the 8 on the team, so that is a good turnout! What was hilarious was when it began drizzling, all of the kids yelled "Oh no! The hurricane!" Very funny. After practice, we all decided to go to dinner together, and there were 20 of us at Joe's Crab Shack. We had a really nice time and seem to have a great team together, both kids and parents. Hayden's team this year is the Louisville Bats. I'll post his schedule on the blog soon, so please try to come and make a game this year. The coaching staff is very cute, if that's an incentive at all!


I'll try to update my blog after the storm. Of course, it will depend on if we lose power, and how long we are without it. Leave me your comments... I love them!

1 comment:

The Newton's said...

Just b/c you love comments...

I hope you guys stay safe!! I can't wait to hear what 'really' happens...the news always seems to report the worst part!