Sunday, September 7, 2008

Busy week, busy tropics, busy campaign!

Wow. What a crazy time lately!

We're two weeks into school and it feels like an eternity already. Julia, for the most part, is sailing smoothly with her new schedule. She loves her teacher - raves about her all of the time. So far, she has brought home all A's with her work, and homework is requiring minimal supervision. It's so strange to see how she is coming into her "tween" years! She's keenly aware of what she wears, and takes extra time with brushing and fixing her hair in the mornings. Oh, and she's also commenting on how I "embarrass her" when I sing loudly in the car!

Since I do have a tween now, you can imagine my anxiety level as she begins to be aware of the culture around her. I already boycott Macy's as far as buying her clothes after spotting a tee-shirt in the Junior department that boldly stated "By Boyfriend Thinks He's My First". WTF??? And the majority of you know how I feel about Bratz dolls - hello? All of this coupled with the fact that she has an admirer in her class who "asks me questions about myself all the time", it's time to do my homework.

I saw an article on this book and picked it up yesterday. Mike and I have a book project together.

I don't know about you, but I find it incredibly sad that we have to arm ourselves with things like this. What are people thinking half of the time, anyway??

Hayden has adjusted to his new schedule as well. I think that for a couple of days, he felt the need to "test the waters" a bit, and see how much of his bunk his new teachers are going to put up with. I think he's discovered, not much. Mom and Dad aren't putting up with it either, and he really dislikes writing sentences for us in the evening. But he's figuring it out, and is doing much better. I will be going to a meeting next week to determine if I need to recommend him for the school district's Gifted and Talented program. I'm looking forward to finding out where he is.

Brandon is going with the flow for the most part, although he seems to be struggling with his new schedule without Hayden. The littlest things seems to send him into hysterics. And potty training on top of it may be adding to the stress.

So how about Governer Palin, huh? Wow, so very refreshing to see a REAL Conservative on the ticket for a change! Her speech was just amazing! I saw the second half of Rudy Guiliani's as well and absolutely loved when he pointed his finger and said "Shame on you!" to the media for questioning her ability to have a job and be a mother. Amen. I've had my share of comments and looks about choosing to be a working mother, and it was great to be validated on a national platform.

Sigh... and then there's Ike. I spend every spare minute on the Chronicle's website reading Eric Berger's blog about where these storms are headed. Ike is planning to take residence in the Gulf for a while and make us all nervous again.

Thanks everyone for your comments on my blog! Keep em' coming!

No comments: